RE: Books on rationality

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 21:36:19 MDT

Ben, while you are certainly correct in stating that Bunge's philosophy is
rather one-sided, I find it more interesting than, for example, Foucault,
whose historical researches--upon which he based his analysis of human
institutions--have been refuted by people who know more about the periods
and institutions about which he wrote. I'll grant that Foucault did have
considerable first hand-knowledge of human perversity, as evidenced by his
moral obtuseness regarding HIV (i.e., he knew he was infected but continued
to his promiscuous lifestyle nevertheless and without informing his
partners).

Bunge's "naive" realism/objectivism is, as I said, one-sided but, to me, a
needed corrective to the radical subjectivism that has come to dominate in
many academic departments. You wrote that we live in a "mind-created world"
which we must acknowledge along with "some common reality that we all
share." Do you consider this common reality to be a mind-consensus or an
objective reality that exists apart from human observers? (Do we need to
hear that tree fall in order for it to make a noise?)

You wrote:
"Embracing
this Zen koan of subjectivity/objectivity is the real challenge, and will
become even more of a pertinent challenge as virtual reality and
superintelligence-inspired reality transformations completely alter reality
as we know it."

I would distinguish between changes to a virtual reality content (software)
and changes to the underlying substrate (hardware/objective reality). Both
can and will be changed by superintelligence. But I think that any
superintelligence that loses controlling contact over the material substrate
will be superceded by another superintelligence that does not.

Regards,
Mike LaTorra