RE: Hardware Progress: $319/GF

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 15:25:39 MDT

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> The projects that have $15M for hardware in 2006, may be precisely NOT
> the ones with any viable AGI design ;> Because AGI has been so
> unpopular in the last 2 decades or so, that there is almost a
> contradiction in terms between "big bucks" and "AGI focus." Although
> Webmind Inc. put a fair bit of $$ into AGI, our expenditure on
> hardware all total was under $500K, and we couldn't afford much more,
> certainly not $15M.

The crossover point calculated was $3M given the original assumptions, and
the $15M figure is for a 100 million mip cluster today. I project that in
2006, the cost for that performance will reach the economic crossover
point and be $3M.

Regarding the marshalling of the required computional power I expect that
to be most easily achieved via peer to peer over the net - a knowledge
grid. Given the expectation of beneficial results, computer owners could
donate unused cycles.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org