RE: Mentifex

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 00:20:27 MDT

I just read the theory5 document entitled "Brain-Mind: Know Thyself!"

I have some very major problems with this paper:

[1] He is obviously trying to infer the mechanisms of the mind without
sufficient constraining data. This means that he must to choose his
proposed mechanisms out of many equally provable/improvable ones.
Unfortunately, he never admits this in his paper.

[2] He doesn't differentiate between the novel stuff he is proposing and
what has been previously discovered or proposed before. He needs to
state clearly how his work is related / distinct from that of his peers
in the field. Cognitive science did exist in 1981

[3] Never does he say what evidence he used to formulate the various
aspects of his mind models. How then can we analyze whether his
formulations are logical given the evidence if he doesn't state the
evidence?

[4] There were tons of seminal papers published before 1981 on the
topics that he speculates incorrectly on. He is mostly dealing with
cognitive psychology topics -- a field that was firmly established by
the mid 1960's.

What should I take away from this paper except to say that some of it
sounds familiar and some of it seems fairly misguided?

Blah.
-ben
http://www.exocortex.org

Behalf
> Of Ben Goertzel
> Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 12:48 AM
> To: sl4@sysopmind.com
> Subject: Mentifex
>

> Hi all,
>
> I finally got around to reading some of Arthur T. Murray's stuff on
the
> Mentifex AI approach.
>
> I didn't look at the code (yet), I just read the docs on the site.
>
> If anyone is interested, these two are fairly clear and simple (esp.
the
> former)
>
> http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/theory5.html
>
> http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/theory4.html
>
> The "Nolarbeit Theory Journal" documents on the site, I found rather
hard
> follow, although interesting in a literary and psychological sort of
way.

> I like the simplified brain theory underlying the Mentifex system. It
is
> really pretty similar to the brain theory I put forth in From
Complexity