Re: [JOIN] Stephen Reed

From: Christian L. (n95lundc@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 16:22:52 MDT

>From: Stephen Reed <reed@cyc.com>
>To: sl4@sysopmind.com
>Subject: [JOIN] Stephen Reed
>Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 00:01:10 -0500 (CDT)
>
>Hi, I'm Steve Reed and I've been working at Cycorp in Austin for the past
>three years.

Hi Stephen!

>In my opinion, Darpa is not yet ready to fund the Singularity mission,
>although as it gets closer, the US military will catch on first and
>provide funding before the commercial sector. The safety of the nation is
>almost priceless.

I'm curious about this statement. My gut feeling is that the military would
consider research aimed at the Singularity as something potentially very
*harmful* to the nation. If the research is successful, it would mean the
END of the government and the military. My feeling is also that there are a
great deal of narrow minded people in the government/military sector, who
perhaps are afraid of such a massive upheaval.

Don't you think that the military would use their funds to support AI
intended for warfare instead of, say, Eliezer's Friendly AI project?

Have you yourself talked to people at DARPA (or other military programs)
about the Singularity? If so, what was their reaction?

Regards,

/Christian