Finding for SIAI

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 19:55:51 MDT

Eli,

you mention that you'd hire programmers if SIAI had funding

I am obviously not the world expert on getting funding but I do have some
experience...

In my view, if you are seeking funding for a noncommercial entity, there are
three routes you have

1) gov't funding

2) funding from individuals who know you well, or for some reason take a
huge personal liking to you

3) funding from other private individuals

I guess that 1) is unlikely for SIAI due to your lack of academic pedigree,
and your focus on the Singularity

2) is always the best option, but if you don't have the contacts, making
them is just due to chance plus quantity of appropriate social networking...

3) seems to be your best bet. For this, it seems to me that your best bet
is either to:

a) code a prototype DGI AGI system yourself, to show off

b) release a very detailed design document explaining your DGI design to
others, not in a way that will convince *everyone* (impossible) but in a way
that will convince some significant segment of the AI-wise population

Because an individual in category 3) is going to want to see some kind of
proof that you can actually build something interesting, apart from your
obvious intelligence and your ability to write interesting philosophy
papers.

I am curious (and others on this list probably are too): Which of the two
routes, a) or b), are you intended to take? Or are you intending to pursue
both simultaneously?

-- Ben G