Re: Thanks.

From: Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 13:31:41 MDT

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Mike & Donna Deering wrote:

> I think calculating the exact moment of the Singularity should be
> fairly straight forward. Take a look at Kurzweil's charts for a

Yes, paper is pretty patient. Unfortunately, futurology is notoriously a
crank science. You can't really forecast details about the future, the
more so when the rate of change is increasing.

> I think his charts and formulas overestimate the time to the
> Singularity (2021). My feeling is closer to 2005.

My feeling is that I don't trust your feeling.

> Thank you! I appreciate every comment. I write these stories not so
> much for people to throw flowers but rather to generate discussion of
> some of the controversial points. I was really disappointed on "Four
> Years Later" that

You really expect technical comments on fiction? Especially, with fiction
that plays very fast and loose with physics?