Re: supergoal stability

From: Wei Dai (weidai@eskimo.com)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 18:16:18 MDT

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 04:28:08AM -0400, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> "Personal philosophy" is here not used in the sense of "My own personal
> philosophy, which is just mine and nobody else's" but rather in the sense of
> describing "that portion of philosophy which you, personally, have managed
> to acquire."

Humanity has created many different systems of philosophy which are
incompatible with each other. It seems to me that the CFAI approach, if it
works at all, should work with any philosophy that is self consistent.
Therefore the question of which philosophy do you subscribe to seems a
relevent one.

> That's an interesting question. I would expect/hope resource conflicts
> along these lines to be rare.

I disagree. There are 6 billion minds on Earth and presumably there will
be at least that many post-Singularity. All it would take for resource
conflicts to occur is for one mind to want use all matter in the solar
system to build a giant optical telescope, and another one to use all
matter to simulate an alternate universe. Why would you expect that 6
billion different sets of supergoals can all be achieved without
significant resource conflicts?

> One take is that after the Singularity all
> sentient beings would get a quantity of "mana" and that mana could be used
> to bid on whichever universal resources are conserved, after which all
> conserved resources would be private property. But that's just a guess.

I guess that means you don't subscribe to communism, which says private
property is bad, or democracy, which says that as long as a majority
agrees, a tax can be imposed on everyone's property to serve some common
purpose. So do you believe that private property is good in itself, or is
it good because it leads to good consequences?

Don't you think it would be a good idea, before porting your philosophy
into an AI, to examine your philosophy in detail and make sure that is
really what you want to port?