RE: Review of A2I2

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 11:41:39 MDT

A comment on the relation between A2I2 and Novamente.

They are both founded on a "self-organizing network" design. They are both
a bit more high-level and abstract than neural network models. They are
both much simpler than Eliezer thinks an AGI should be, and they both rely
too much on self-organization and emergence to fit neatly and naturally into
Eliezer's "Friendly goal system" framework.

However, Novamente tries to incorporate the best aspects of
semantic-net/logic based AI with the best aspects of neural net based AI,
whereas A2I2 is lower-level, and I view it *very loosely* more as "trying to
get something a little more mind-ish and abstract the neural nettish
approach right". Novamente has many more mind-dynamics going on; it's a lot
more complex than A2I2 (which I view as a bad thing, but I intuitively
believe this level of complexity is going to make the task of getting real
general intelligence to emerge a lot easier).

My worry with A2I2 is that, after they build their digital doggie (or mouse,
or roach, or whatever -- obviously there is no exact animal correlate, it's
not that kind of project), *will their structures and dynamics scale* to the
next level, the level of a more general inteligence with abstract thinking
capabilities??

Peter's intuition is that they will. My intuition is that I'm not so sure,
but I think they may have a fighting chance. They may, in my view, have a
lot of rethinking and new designing to do, to make the leap from a digital
sort-of-animal to something at all capable of abstract thought.

All in all I think it's a really cool project with a lot of promise. A hell
of a lot more exciting, and important, than typical AI research which is
aimed at solving some narrow problem. A2I2 is making a system that will be
capable at least of simple animal-level "experiential interactive learning".
And I hope they can push it further...

-- Ben G