Re: recent Foresight event

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 14:38:02 MDT

Brian Atkins wrote:

> I wasn't there, but I heard a company called Alien Technologies (I think)
> showed off a vial of 10000 "localizers", each in the 286 range of processing
> power. I'm still not clear on whether or not they actually worked or what
> exactly their capabilities are. Anyone have a website for them?

I think that Alien Technologies is calling them "tags" - though they'll
always be localizers to Vinge fans. It wasn't someone from Alien
Technologies at the Gathering, just a speaker who happened to have gotten
hold of a vial somewhere. Very very *very* impressive, though. Somehow, no
matter how often you think something through - whether it's Dolly, WTC, or
localizers - it's still a shock to see it in person.