Re: Hello, again...

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 23:14:44 MST

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 20:18, Ben Houston wrote:
> of mine posted to the web [5,6]. I've been using
> runtime-code-generation, reflection and xml to a fair degree but I
> haven't yet got into the XML-RPC/SOAP stuff yet.

Instead of SOAP, you also might want to look at some of the other
messaging protocols (e.g. JMS or MQSeries); SOAP has some deficiencies
in architecture that make it a nuisance to work with for some
applications. I've recently been involved in the design of a powerful
protocol suite and SDK for distributed application development that is
built on top of the JMS protocol (after looking at several) that does
some very nice things. There are some fledgling products in this area
(solid distributed application frameworks built on top of message
queuing protocols), but I needed it yesterday and therefore built it
in-house. There is plenty of room for people to do framework design on
top of messaging architectures outside of SOAP. I think my only real
point was that SOAP isn't a great foundation for such things, and if you
want to look into such things I would suggest something OTHER than SOAP.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com