BOOK: The Mind's Past

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 16:35:08 MST

Title: The Mind's Past
Author: Michael S. Gazzaniga
ISBN: 0-520-21320-3

This is a good, nonfiction book that synthesizes brain and mind
research, focusing on one key issue: the fictional self. This is not
to say that you don't feel like you're alive; I certainly do. The self,
however, is not where your actions are decided. What you would call
your self is a part of your mind that learns what your mind is doing
after the fact, but in such a way that you feel like you're in control.

The fictional self has been my intuition for some time, but finding
ample research supporting my reasoning is good. This book was actually
published back in 1997, but I found it a few months ago in the bargain
book section of the local book store and finally read it today.

I am adding this book the my list of recommended reading. Many
transhumanist ideas (and, by extension, SL4 ideas) hinge on the mind
being part of the brain, so it is a must read for everyone who doesn't
intuitively grasp the concept of the fictional self and a should read
for anyone who, like me, still has a lot to learn about the brain.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose