Re: Transcendental Fiction List

From: Evan Reese (evansreese@directvinternet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 10:23:44 MST

b---- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Goertzel" <ben@goertzel.org>
To: <sl4@sysopmind.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 7:01 PM
Subject: RE: Transcendental Fiction List

> Stanislaw Lem.

No question! But since you brought him up, were you thinking of anything in
particular. Specifically, what about 'Solaris'? It's not about human
transcendence, but I think it is a great example of the communication
barrier between a superintelligence and humans. That fact that it was never
really resolved whether the Ocean was an SI was to my mind one of the best
parts of the books. But I recognize that some people might not think the
book is a shoe-in for the list. I'm biased, though, I admit. It's one of
the best books from one of the most underappreciated writers in SF. I think
'Peace on Earth' should go on as well. But I haven't all his work; so name
some names for me.