COGSCI: Artistic Savants

From: Josh Yotty (joshyotty@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 19:08:09 MST

http://centreforthemind.com/publications/Autistic_artists.html

<snip>
>We argue here that the difference between autistic child artists
>and normal individuals is that autistic artists make no assumptions
>about what is to be seen in their environment. They have not formed
>mental representations of what is significant and consequently
>perceive all details as equally important. Equivalently, they do
>not impose visual or linguistic schema - a process that we
>believe is necessary for rapid conceptualisation in a dynamic
>existence, especially when the information presented to the
>eye is incomplete.
</snip>

Different information at http://discover.com/feb_02/featsavant.html

It's pretty easy to draw parallels between our brains and computers
here--mainly that there is "one more step" to intelligence. Also may imply
that AIs will do math just like we do: slow.

I'm not a cognitive scientist, so feel free to flame. :)

-Josh Yotty
Back by nobody's demand, it's the...

Tip of the Email
The Japanese have three writing systems. Two are syllabaries, meaning that
each 'unit' (not a letter) is a syllable. This is why it sounds like their
lips are going to fly off from talking so fast. This is also how they murder
foreign words.