Re: Sadness on voluntary death (was: Singularity Memetics)

From: Deacon Kuhns (deacon@teacher.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 18:32:05 MST

> > Eliezer,
> >
> > I'm curious as to whether if it were possible, you would propose forcing people to upload regardless of whether they want to or not. It kind of seems that this is the logical extension of what you are saying.
>
> Uh... which part? The part where I said that you have the right to make
> choices, even stupid choices, but it doesn't make the choices any less
> stupid? How so?

Well, the part where you said that any choice involving growing old, pain, and death is objectively wrong coupled with the part where you said that when you see pain, you want to heal it.

It's all fine and good to say that choices should be honored, but what happens when you get into grey areas? Like a mother refusing life-saving treatment for her eight year old son because she thinks death is "natural"?

Eventually, there would probably be a way to quickly bring people into the "objectively right" decision to avoid pain and suffering... it probably wouldn't even be intrusive. Just let a few nano-brain surgeons out on the public and rewire the brain to not feel pain. Voila!

If we don't get off the objective morality throne, it's going to cause problems down the road.

Deacon

--
Anything worth doing is worth doing with STYLE,
Super-string = Super-style,
Now all that's left is the bull's <CENSORED>:
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a