RE: Telling the world

From: Harvey Newstrom (mail@harveynewstrom.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 00:33:56 MST

> Gordon Worley wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 27, 2002, at 12:50 AM, Josh Yotty wrote:
> > > Myself: "See. Thirty cubits around and ten across. That means that God
> > > is off by roughly .14159..."
> >
> > Where is this passage? I'm not to up on my Bible study.

This argument has always irked me. This argument only works if you assume
that "Thirty cubits" were measured with an accuracy below 1/10th of a cubit.
If they were using whole cubits, the numbers are correct. This argument
also assumes that the thickness of the basin walls are zero like a
mathematical abstraction. If the thickness of each side were .0353546...
cubits the numbers would again be right. There also is no reason to assume
that the basin is perfectly circular. If they deviated by less than one
percent, the numbers could be correct.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
Principal Security Consultant, Newstaff Inc. <www.Newstaff.com>