Re: AI and Moore's Law redux

From: Alan Grimes (alangrimes@starpower.net)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 13:32:46 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:
> There is a distinction between explicit and implicit knowledge that
> has to be made here. N items in memory have 2^N combinations, and so
> there *is* exponential increase of knowledge implicit in linear
> increase in memory.

> However, when knowledge is reprsented only implicitly, it takes
> processing time to sort it out, so one has a time-space tradeoff.

I don't think it is that clear cut. It is apparent that the brain does
_NOT_ consult all available abstractions for each time step, even though
it, in theory, could. Rather it seems to use something akin to a sifting
method that quickly prunes the number of combinations it has to try to
far less than the full search space. Furthermore, It appears that the
learning process improves the efficiency of the pruning without severly
cripling its generality. =

I will be studying this more after I finish my OS project...

--
DOS LIVES! MWAHAHAHAHA
http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/  <my website.