RE: Steve Harris, "Return of the Krell Machine" (Singularity Article)

From: Paul Hughes (psiphius@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 18:32:54 MST

--- Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:

> Actually, I don't agree with that! I think that is
> one possible path to
> creating a artificial intelligence, but not the
> only possible path; and I
> suspect that it *won't* be the first path followed.
> I suspect that AI will
> move faster than brain science in the next decade,
> even though it's lagged
> behind in the past 2 decades.

I find this extremely doubtful. I have several
friends who have gotten their hard-earned Ph.D's in AI
and every single one of them says that creating an AI
through experimental software methods alone and not
aided by a thorough knowledge of brain science will be
doomed to failure. In addition they also all agree
that unlimited computer speed alone with do nothing to
advance the state of AI Research. One of my friends
recently told me that the biggest flaw with several AI
pathways is their overestimation of their scalability.
 He compares them to a person who, climbing a tree and
seeing that they are moving ever upward, concluding
that if they continue they will eventually reach the
moon. Truer words have never been spoken.

Paul Hughes