Re: Alpha-Point computing

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 07:58:44 MST

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 08:16 AM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> Incidentally, I first named our home space the "Socrates Universe" in a
> discussion of Alpha Lines on the Extropian mailing list, and as far as I
> know, it was the first time anyone ever needed to come up with a name.
> Who knows, maybe someday it'll become official.

I'm curious: why Socrates? I've needed a clear way to refer to our
universe (mostly because I wanted to call it something other than `the
universe' because that gets to be like saying I live on `the planet')
numerous times, but just never thought up a name. The possibility of
universes other than our own seems obvious, to me anyway. But, I'm not
really interested in who needed what first. I'd just like some
explanation of how you got the name.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose