Re: Review of "Open Your Eyes" (SPOILER)

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 23:38:28 MST

On Sunday, September 23, 2001, at 03:05 PM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> * SPOILERS *

Yep, they continue below. I finally got this movie and, without a
doubt, this has instantly become my new favorite movie (but /pi/ comes
in a very close second).

> Edwin Evans wrote:
>>
>> SPOILER REPLY:
>>
>> I liked the movie OK, but it didn't live up to my expectations (after
>> reading Eliezer's nonspoiler and semispoiler review). I suppose if I
>> had
>> watched it having no idea it would involve sci-fi element, I would have
>> been pleasantly surprised.
>
> Oops. In retrospect, I can see that you are completely correct about
> this. But it does make it rather hard to recommend the movie!

I don't know about that. I knew there was a transhuman sci-fi element,
but in many ways that made the foreshadowing better (and I was able to
pick up on some subtle things that were probably missed in most first
viewings), though I suppose I might have a different opinion if I'd sat
there like Eliezer saying 'no, they couldn't ...'. Regardless, this is
a very well made film.

>> And of course, why, oh why did he have to jump from a building to wake
>> up?
>
> Either dramatic plot device, or some kind of psychological method for
> severing the connections to the old world before waking up. Almost
> certainly the former. Still, you can rationalize quite a lot on the
> assumption of SL3 gross psychosurgery rather than uploading.

Well, but the choice of jumping as opposed to just dying by the most
convenient method ties in with the idea that he's dreaming and I have
gotten the impression that many people have falling dreams where they
wake up just before hitting the ground (personally, I've had dreams
where I only felt like I was falling, but not in the sense that I was
plummeting to the ground). Silly as it may seem, this is an intuitive
way to many people to make themselves wake up from a dream (though I
have never had a problem with waking up when I chose too, so I again
defer to my knowledge of what other people have told me about their
dreams).

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose