Intelligence Amplification, was Re: "NEWS:" AI makes Wired's Vaporware list

From: Simon McClenahan (peepsplat@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 08:30:19 MST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dani Eder" <danielravennest@yahoo.com>
To: <sl4@sysopmind.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: "NEWS:" AI makes Wired's Vaporware list

> The obvious answer is that the robot brains are
> still too expensive. For example, a robot
> vacuum cleaner might need to be as smart as an ant.
> An ant has 250,000 neurons in it's brain,

> The real, useful, Intelligence Amplifier that we
> have now is search engines like Google, which
> allowed me to find the number of neurons in an
> ant brain in about 10 sec.

I typed in "how many neurons in an ant brain" in my Google bar, and several
hits down (about 20 seconds for me) pointed me to
http://www.at-bristol.org.uk/Education/nesta/brain.htm that says "Your brain
has 100 000 million neurons and an ant has only 10 000 ". Since we all know
that you can't trust all information on the Internet, what Intelligence
Amplifier system do I need to use to find the most accurate number?

cheers,
    Simon