Re: The inevitability of death, or the death of inevitability?

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 02:16:50 MST

Jeff Bone wrote:

> > I would not be surprised to find out
> > that it is utterly impossible to exceed the speed of light within a given
> > gravitational frame of reference, forever and amen. 2LT seems to me to
> > have more the character of a guideline than a rule.
>
> 2LT doesn't predict the impossibility of exceeding c. And IMO, you're right in your
> bias: I'm not convinced of the inviolability of c --- or even its constancy. O

BTW, apologies, I misparsed Eli's statement. I actually disagree: I would not be
surprised to find out that it is possible to exceed c in a given reference frame. To me,
that's a much more suspect concept than i.e. 2LT.

And a second BTW: 2LT is at the basis of much other science, like Hawking's formulation
of black hole evaporation. Those laws, in turn, are mutually supportive of GR. It's a
pretty incestuous bunch of supposition. But of all of the assumptions, 2LT passes
Occam's Razor best *and* has good observable predictions.

jb