Re: New website: The Simulation Argument

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 16:10:17 MST

On Friday, December 7, 2001, at 03:34 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Bottom line, as long as there is any connection whatsoever to the
> physical universe we are almost certainly and absolutely screwed in
> the long run: either the universe is open and we experience the heat
> death due to 2LT, or its closed and we experience collapse, modulo
> some Tipler-esque imaginary infinity. Give that safety is
> *physically* an impossibility of absolute safety, we just need to
> realistically assess the tradeoffs between the costs and benefits of
> any desired level of safety.

While a lot of this discussion is redundant, I think it needs to be made
clear that this doesn't matter. These figures are based on right now,
where you have only one life to live (que the melodramatic music). So
what if one copy of your mind can only live x years, you can live
forever by making copies.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose