Re: S13N FAQ 1.0 (1.15)

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 07:50:45 MST

On Wednesday, November 21, 2001, at 07:23 AM, KlausRei@aol.com wrote:

> I would suggest to change the sentence: "While Singularitarians vary in
> their answers, all fall between now and somewhere around 2030." If
> someone reads this after 2030, he might despair and think that there
> will never be a singularity. I would be happy, if the singularity would
> happen before 2030. But the solution of the AI software problem might
> take longer, perhaps much longer.

If by 2030 this document is still in use as anything other than a
historical artifact, I'll be sure to update it with whatever seems to be
appropriate information at the time.

There's plenty to reason to suspect that the Singularity will happen by
around 2030 or not at all. See reasons briefly mentioned in the FAQ and
search through the SL4 archives for more info. Of course, 2030 is just
the estimate right now and, as I stated, updates will be made as more
accurate predictions become available.

(for those of you who don't know how to do this, use Google and search
for '[some keywords] site:sysopmind.com')

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose