Re: [ARTICLE] TheAtlantic: New Life for Moore's Law

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 15:10:35 MST

SCN User wrote:

> And since Moore's Law states that computer chip processing power
> doubles every... what? 18 months? we AI entrepreneurs are in
> danger of being outstripped and left in the dust by hardware
> advances that evolve far beyond our puny AI efforts such as
> http://mind.sourceforge.net/mindloop.html -- Flowchart of Mind.

Yes, we all know about the correlation of Moore's Law to AI (either zero
or one, depending on who on the list you ask). I think I have to rate
this as an unjustified plug for a personal theory.

This is a moderated list. It is a moderated list full of people who
distrust all forms of centralized authority, some of whom have threatened
to pack up and leave if they don't like the way I moderate. This is not a
bad state of affairs, but it does mean that moderation should usually
occur out in the open, not behind closed doors.

I don't claim the moral authority to decide which posts are inherently
interesting and which aren't, but I do have the responsibility to decide
which posts belong on SL4. It is my decision that the above post does not
belong on the list, and that future posts of this type may result in the
poster in question being asked to stop posting.