[ARTICLE] Slashdot and the Singularity

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 18:51:54 MDT

Well, just a heads up to everyone, Slashdot has a story about Vernor
Vinge and the Singularity (well, it's a link to a New York Times
article). Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to look at the
comments for some of you to see where we need to work on educating
the public. Not surprisingly, many of the posters seem to get what
the Singularity is and can see why it would happen, but fail to
realize all the implications of the Singularity and what it takes to
get there.

Oh, also, a +5 modded comment has links to the Low Beyond and SIAI,
so watch out for a mini Slashdotting.

<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/02/0137256&mode=flat

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose