RE: Article: The coming superintelligence: who will be in control?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 14:18:34 MDT

> I think that
> Ray Kurzweil is a genuine visionary, but that he has a relatively narrow
> vision of how the Singularity is going to be, and that his site is REALLY
> devoted to promoting that narrow vision,

I should add that Kurzweil's views include the following:

1) The path to AI will be via brain science mapping out the brain, and
computer scientists creating detailed brain simulations

2) A "real AI" is about 50 years off

These are not *absurd* beliefs by any means, though I think they're wrong.
However, I certainly don't think he has any reason to adhere to these
beliefs with the certainty that he appears to.

Any articles not agreeing with these beliefs may have some difficulty
appearing on that particular website. ...

It just goes to show you that Singularitarianism, like every other little
corner of humanity, has its own splinter groups and sects, and though the
differences between sects seem small to the outside world, they seem large
enough to the insiders!

-- Ben G