Re: Floppy take-off

From: Brian Phillips (deepbluehalo@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 16:12:32 MDT

<I tend to look at IQ as more of a logarithmic measure of effective
intelligence. The difference between an IQ of 50 and one of 100 is more
exponential than linear, though the problem when applied to humans is that
it is more a measure of capability than results.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com

And this is key. IQ is a measure of capability. Perhaps the biggest
advantage of an AI is (presumably) it wouldn't be designed with the
inherent bias towards assuming it's present level of mentality is
a static item. :)
  This doesn't have anything to do with an AI "rewiring it's own head"
in the programming sense...just learning via trial and error to use
ever increasing amounts of what it already has by design.
  Humans don't GROW like we should. I think we all can say mea
culpa on this one yes?
  This point tends to get obscured by Eli's (neccessary) focus on
the self-modification of code (else how to get a TAI?). The
possibilities inherent in lacking the human habit of mental inertia
and predisposition towards not growing at all possible junctures
are awesome. Especially if you have the mental time to read
everything ever written. Edison vs. Tesla (the stereotypes anyway).

/r
brian