Human Genius WAS: Open AI

From: Durant Schoon (durant@ilm.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 14:05:15 MDT

> From: Brian Atkins <brian@posthuman.com>
>
> Right, but raw intelligence dramatically affects the learning speed. It
> makes the difference even between what the AI can understand and what
> it can't. Just in the very small range of human intelligence we have
> kids that graduate college in their teens with physics degrees and we
> have people with IQ below 100 who could never even do that in 50 years.

Minsky said something in one of his Society of Mind Lectures that I've
remembered as: Human geniuses are never more than twice as smart as
non-geniuses, eg. the kid who graduates with a physics degree at 15
might do work that a 30 year physics postdoc could do, but not more.
I just think of this as an average upperbound.

There also seems to be a "bend in the road" as it were. The book
"A Beautiful Mind" about John Forbes Nash, Jr. discusses how
the Fields Medal is only awarded to people under the age of 30 (which
is before when most mathematicians stop doing their best work) - actually
I can't remember if that age cutoff is an explicit rule or just a custom.

Now if only we could Gauss' brain...eBay?

--
Durant Schoon