Open AI

From: Jack Richardson (jrichard@empire.net)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 20:25:32 MDT

I wonder if it will be possible at some point to create an AI environment built around a core component which could be opened up to the larger AI development community in the way that Linus Torvald opened up LINUX.

It seems to me that the development of human level AI will more likely occur through the contributions of thousands of developers rather than a small team. This will be particularly true if human AI turns out to require solutions to numerous and complicated functional requirements.

In the same way that the human brain is made up of many different components that may or may not fully interact, the core component could be designed with many connection points that would allow the addition of numerous new modules that would work with the core component but not necessarily all the others.

I suppose the main objection to this is that it would expose the working code to those who would then be able to misuse it for nefarious purposes. On the other hand, it would have the advantage of thousands of developers who could propose ways of controlling and minimizing improper use of the code.