Re: What if qualia are noncomputable and necessary?

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 00:48:32 MDT

At 11:31 PM 7/23/01 -0400, Emil wrote:

>What if:
>
>(1) The mind does something noncomputable (in the Turing sense),
>thanks to as-yet unknown physics;
>
>(2) This noncomputability lies at the heart of qualia; and
>
>(3) We must explicitly take advantage of this feat of physics in
>order to produce an artifact capable of running "real AI"?

What if:

(1) The legs do something nonambulatory (in the Touring sense),
thanks to as-yet unknown physics;

(2) This nonambulation lies at the heart of walking; and

(3) We must explicitly take advantage of this feat [I'll restrain myself]
of physics in order to produce an avatar capable of running, in "real AI"?

Damien Broderick
[who suspects it's all a category mistake--"words, words, words"]