Re: Flare

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 21:51:17 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> It happens that the most RAM you could get in a relatively inexpensive
> computer (pentium-based, I mean) as of last year was 4GB of RAM, and so
> that's what we had at Webmind Inc. If you can afford a Starfire or an IBM
> mainframe, then there are no worries; and I imagine this is the primary
> initial market for the 64 bit JVM.

RAM prices are dropping precipitously. A quick look at Yahoo! Shopping
almost instantly brings up a PC133, 168-pin, 512MB SDRAM chip for $56, and
that's if I'm not buying in bulk:

  http://shop.store.yahoo.com/jazztechnology/genbranpc511.html

The only reason I would fear to burn RAM is that burning RAM might also
consume bandwidth.