RE: Semi-nonspoiler review: "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within"

From: Justin Corwin (thesweetestdream@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 20:56:57 MDT

yeah, i think it was a little over-played. the big bad military, you know.

stepped rather neatly over the issue of the people dying offscreen. they're
not invaders, just confused.

hmm, another point, in the (admittedly interesting) computer interfaces,
there is a little box in the very upper hand corner that says
(Palm(Powered)) does anybody know anything about this? Is Palm still making
OSs in the future? or did Palm pay for the publicity? Nobody else i talked
to noticed it. (of course, i'm usually the only person to notice things like
that...)

>From: "Amara D. Angelica" <amara@kurzweilai.net>
>Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 13:30:32 -0700
>
>Is it just me, or does the movie seem like a neo-Luddite propaganda piece:
>Gaians vs. Star Warriors? Interesting timing.

the movie just made me want to see a hard science fiction story made into a
movie. how they manage to be anti-progress and techno-thriller at the same
time boggles me.

although, an interesting point. if there is all this bioetheric energy, why
aren't there magical people around? you can power a gun off singlecelled
organisms? you should have people with transformers on them, leveling
buildings. or at least a few proper battlemages.. the setting has a real
shadowrunish possiblity to it, but i was very dissapointed.

tech only, though they dont' seem to like it very much.

justin