sleep and communal dreaming (was RE: Unambiguous Language...)

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 19:47:29 MDT

Durant Schoon said:
> I've had a pet theory for a while that dreaming is used to strengthen
and
> weaken conceptual relationships while we sleep.

That's actually been an aspect of the dominant theory of what happens
when we sleep. Thus, there might be a simple reason why things seem
clearer after a good night's sleep. ;-)

Durant Schoon said:
> Using spare cycles to compare one's own mental structures with the
mental
> structures of others one is likely to come into concact with, so that
> at the time of actual communication, one already knows which symbols
are
> shared.

I am not sure if this is a good idea. Do you really want to be learning
concepts from someone else without putting critical thought into it?
But maybe it is decent...

Cheers,
-ben houston
http://www.exocortex.org/~ben