Re: Unambiguous Language WAS: MEME: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 18:07:24 MDT

Durant Schoon wrote:

> How about a mix? Sometimes the entire low level structure gets transmitted,
> sometimes just the references are sent. So sometimes, words would be
> important.

An interesting compromise would be to use symbols where there are almost
identical shared referents, but use modality encoding - telepathy - for
anything else. Of course, this requires X finding out whether Y shares a
symbol with X, preferably using a lower-bandwidth method than sending Y
the entire symbol for comparison.