Re: Coercive Transhuman Memes and Exponential Cults

From: Durant Schoon (durant@ilm.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 18:35:44 MDT

> From: Gordon Worley <redbird@rbisland.cx>
>
> Guess I'm a bit dense, but what is fnord?

Not dense, just missing a cultural reference, which I will now
attempt to transmit.

The origin is from the Illuminati (series?). Another reference
from this series is the Trilateral commision (perhaps you've
seen this too). The book (which I haven't actually read) is
full of outlandish conspiracy theories. One relates to fnord.

According to what I know of the book, the word "fnord" is supposed to
be used by the mass media to induce a sense of panic and distress,
used as a control mechanism to influence "the masses"*. Furthermore
"the masses" are conditioned to subconsciously filter out the word
fnord. It is never even noticed fnord by those who see it.

* Note, I have read Eli's post about his dislike for the term
        "the masses". I use it here fully aware of these negative,
        over-simplified implications.

--
Durant Schoon