Re: Coercive Transhuman Memes and Exponential Cults

From: Durant Schoon (durant@ilm.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 15:11:38 MDT

> From: "Cris Solar" <vyger@dlfs.freeserve.co.uk>
>
> I'd like to know more about the concept of memetic attractor..any pointers??
> thanx in advance!

I should be more careful with my language. I made up this term. I
was thinking of Strange Attractors from Chaos theory (see James Gleik's
(sp?) book "Chaos").

A Memetic Attractor, as I intended it to mean, was a sort of basin of
beliefs to which a sentient entity can be "attracted". Though there's
perhaps another possible useful meaning which is that it attracts other
memes to it, to attach to. The way that Christianity co-opted Celtic
winter festivals (I think this is true, but if not, you hopefully get
the idea). Both definitions can be the same if you consider an
intelligences a bundle of memes plus other stuff.

I should do more research, there might be another term for this already.

--
Durant Schoon