Re: hello

From: Aaron McBride (amcbride@jps.net)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 00:59:52 MDT

Don't worry. This topic will be finished by midnight Sunday (I've still
got 10 min).

First of all, I fully understand what I do and don't know about how current
CPUs work.
Believe it or not, but I've actually designed an 8 bit CPU from the gates
up. I also know quite a bit about the physics of current chip design, but
I'm the first person to say that I am not a hardware guy, and I don't know
everything that I could.

As far as what it's going to take to bring about a singularity, I don't
believe any of us know ALL of the details. It hasn't been done yet.

As far as my feeling that something is missing from current AI... yes, I
know it's mysticism, but hey I'm only human :). As long as I don't blindly
refuse to accept the idea that an "I" (self-awareness) can be built with
current technology, then what harm is being done? (On the other hand, if
people refuse to accept the possibility that some hardware could be
missing, that could lead to disaster. I'm just saying, keep your mind open
at least a little.)

I do appreciate this group letting me express my opinions, and pointing out
where they disagree. It has certainly shown me the areas in communication
where I am weak. Then again, the goal of my original post was to introduce
myself. I'm sure that you would all agree that after this past weekend
you'll know my name when you see it on an email (Success!). :)

-Aaron