Thwarting Friendliness

From: doug.bailey@ey.com
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 08:45:51 MDT

> I guess Eliezer's point may be that the AI ~does~ have a choice in
> his plan -- the Friendliness supergoal is not an absolute irrevocable
goal,
> it's just a fact ("Friendliness is the most important goal") that is
given
> an EXTREMELY high confidence so that the system has to gain a HUGE
AMOUNT
> of evidence to overturn it.

Something that concerns me is what happens when the AI decides to develop
an AI without the Friendliness supergoal? Several pathways seem to
conceivably
lead to this scenario. The AI decides to study an AI without the
Friendliness
supergoal perhaps not because it doubts the value of the goal but rather
is
simply curious how an AI without this goal would function. Alternatively,
the
AI might realize on its own that its preset goals and supergoals have not
been
subject to rigorous scrutiny (by the AI that is) and that it is inherently
biased towards evaluating them itself. Hence, it creates an AI with
minimal
preset goals either so that the original AI itself can evaluate the
importance
of a particular goal or have the new AI itself serve as the evaluator.

The objectives of hardwiring or effectively hardwiring Friendliness into
an AI
can be easily avoided/thwarted. This does not mean these objectives
shouldn't
still be pursued but it does apparently reduce the Friendliness approach
a stop gap measure.

Doug

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged
and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Ernst & Young LLP