RE: META: lists (WAS: A fairly concrete path to the Singularity)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 21:49:07 MDT

I'm guessing that Patrick's comment and this whole thread are a kind of
arcane ironic insider joke ;>

But in case i'm wrong and you guys are serious, I will chip in that, in my
view, this is a small enough group that one list to discuss topics on all
the sl-n levels is OK.

AI happens to be the main topic Eliezer has been working on lately, and
ditto for myself, in spite of the fact that we both have very broad
future-tech interests besides.

And, I think Eli and I agree that AI is the most likely technology to serve
as the direct cause of a Singularity in technology development. Many other
developments will be accelerated hugely if "real AI" is accomplished.

If we can't achieve AI, then, the technologies you consider SL4 are going to
be long delayed

Of course, the same is true if we can't eat, though, so -- anyone for a
thread on McDonald's versus Wendy's???

ben