Re: The Tao of the Sysop Scenario

From: Chris Cooper (coop666@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 20:22:44 MDT

>"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" wrote:
>Nonetheless, to accuse Friendly AI of being contaminated by
>Judeo-Christian ideas, or to analogize between the Sysop and God, is to
>display Western parochialism.

 Guilty as charged. Growing up in the heart of the Bible Belt does leave
scars. The specific element of the Sysop Scenario (almost sounds like the
title of a bad spy movie) that brought notions of Revelations to mind was the
idea of an SI hard takeoff, followed by immediate uploading for humans. It
does sound a little like the part in Revelations where the Messsiah returns,
and the faithful ascend bodily into Heaven, leaving behind the sinners to
remain on Earth.If I had been raised as a Hindu, I would no doubt find
similarities there, as well.

 Eliezer, I certainly wasn't accusing you or anyone else here of being unduly
influenced by Judeo-Christian thought, Taoist philosophy, or an old Thor
comic. I was just amused by a surface similarity.

COOP