Re: Computers that improve themselves

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 11:11:07 MDT

Yes evolving stuff in general can do some cool stuff, but it's a real
pain to debug. The scientist in this article still hasn't figured out
how his new chip layout even works... I would not want to be flying in
a spaceship or some other kind of critical system that relied on such
opaque chip designs. If it has evolved to work best in the lab conditions,
what happens when it gets hit with some external radiation?

In other words, I think using evolutionary techniques to discover new
possibilities in technology is a great thing, but the new possibilities
should be thoroughly understood and then incorporated into a human-designed
final product. Using a raw evolution-derived piece of technology without
completely understanding how it works is a recipe for disaster IMO.

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence