Re: More (neutral) press about Friendly AI, now at ACM

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 11:28:29 MDT

He's at Foresight, but I can give my views... 1st off SIAI decided from
the beginning that we are not going to be a memetic organization. We want
to spend our time totally on the research as much as possible. Other orgs
and people like ExI, Foresight, Kurzweil, get across most of our views for
us anyway. 2nd, we would greatly prefer to fund our efforts from outside
individuals/orgs who want to commit themselves to accelerating the Singularity.
Raising the money ourselves through selling books or whatever would take a
lot longer, and I guess is kind of a last resort right above complete open
sourcing. So 3rd going along with that is that writing and "doing" a book
just takes a lot of time that Eliezer would prefer to use on his real work.
Oh yeah, 4th we don't want TOO much press lest we get the wrong kind of
people interested in us. We want just enough press to let us find enough
funding, and then we'd like to disappear from the world and do our work.

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence