Re: China-US cyberwar

From: Jimmy Wales (jwales@aristotle.bomis.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 18:44:51 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> They said the Internet would dissolve national borders.
>
> They said the Internet would transfer power from governments to
> individuals.
>
> So now we have a situation where two populations that hate each other can
> declare war on each other directly.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is there some reason to think that the _populations_
of China and the United States hate each other? Politicians hate and start wars.
Regular people just want to sit on the porch and watch their grandchildren play.

I don't think very many people in the United States hate the people of China. I
suppose some do, there are always a handful of racists around. But I think most
people in the United States hate (if they hate at all) the totalitarian government
of China.

I don't know what the ordinary people of China feel about the people of the United
States. But if they hate us, I'm sure that the Internet can help to heal that hate.

--Jimbo

*            http://www.nupedia.com/            *
*      The Ever Expanding Free Encyclopedia     *