Re: Open Source Friendly AI? (was Singularity and thegeneralpublic)

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 10:37:38 MDT

James Higgins wrote:

> Lets say someone was determined to be the first to get AI and they
> succeed. Wouldn't it be better for everyone if they included Friendliness
> in it since it was available as an open source module? Regardless of if
> they come chat with you or not, the odds that the race winning AI team use
> Friendlieness go way up if your project is available as open source.

Obviously, we'll be releasing every bit of Friendliness info we possibly
can, and I would hope that the same policy would be pursued by any other
development effort. A project that wants to keep secrets (whether for
commercial or nonprofit reasons) may not be able to reveal the source
code, since that's highly revealing of APIs and so on. But anyone should
be able to publish their experiences with programming Friendliness, or
descriptions of successful systems detailed enough that anyone can easily
reimplement them. As long as giving away Friendliness doesn't totally
give away the entire system, there is no conceivable benefit of keeping
Friendliness private that outweighs the benefit of making it public.