Re: Human-level software crossover date

From: Mitchell Porter (you_have_some_sort_of_bug@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 03:30:16 MDT

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>
wrote:

> If modules are complex functional
> adaptations and there are
> 40 modules to an map, then this leaves 800 base
> pairs = 266 amino acids =
> 200 bytes per complex functional adaptation. I'm
> not much on the
> low-level detail of genetics, so let me know if this
> doesn't sound right.

Well, let's say that the difference between
one module and another consists in certain genes
being either on or off (expressed or never expressed).

You've estimated 20000 modules, and 2^15 > 20000,
so 15 genes can in theory provide the requisite
variety. So, again in theory, each module needs
just 15 bits - 2 bytes! - to specify the on/off
states of those genes, and by pooling their
"byte budgets" the modules can easily afford
those 15 genes themselves.

Now in fact the gene activation pattern of a
cell type has to be determined by other genes,
so you're going to need considerably more than 15
to code up the whole architecture. But basically,
by the 200-byte estimate above, each module can
afford one gene, and *20000 genes* should be more
than adequate to code for a 20000-module
architecture if it recycles system and subsystem
design patterns, as the brain surely does.