RE: Gender Neutral Pronouns

From: Alicia Madsen (fsadm1@uaf.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 21:21:23 MST

>===== Original Message From sl4@sysopmind.com =====
>Alicia Madsen wrote:
>>
>> Well I agree that how humans refer to AIs will probably not matter to AIs
in
>> the beginning. But when AIs begin to develope a sense of self, they will
most
>> likely take into account how others refer to them. It will matter then.
>
>I understand this is meant well, but AIs aren't that fragile. The picture
>we have in our minds for AIs may show up in our language, and may be
>reconstructed by the AI, but then it's just interesting information for
>the AI. It wouldn't get mixed up in the AI's self-image unless the AI
>thought it bore a reliable resemblance to reality. For a human, our
>picture of how others think of us gets naturally mixed up with how we
>think of ourselves; for an AI, the sequitur would have to be deliberate.
>
>And you really, really, really don't need to worry about crushing the AI's
>fragile self-esteem.

>Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://intelligence.org/
>Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence

Well, I am young. I can see where I can make this mistake, taking things too
seriously. I understand that AIs would probably not get offended by
gender-specific pronouns, but I would rather use gender-nuetral pronouns also
because I do not want to offend my OWN moral code. I still prefer to think in
ves and vers for AIs and such like, and still hope that ves and vers become
used extensively. :)

Alicia.