RE: Gender Neutral Pronouns

From: John Smart (john.smart@home.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 18:11:58 MST

Nice idea, Dale and Eli.

Early motorcars, airplanes, and other such emergent and disruptive
technological entities were given "she, " so there is long historical
precedence. It does have the advantages of implying a self-reproductive
capacity (parthenogenesis anyone?) as well, which is the essence of these
systems.

I still think it/the entity/the system/the hyperconsciousness/the AI, etc.
is better, but I agree that the occasional she would be a significant
improvement.

Glad to see you are receptive to considering this, Eli. You've always struck
me as a really plastic individual (I'm sure you know the positive sense in
which I use the term.)

Joy,

John

http://www.SingularityWatch.com