Si definition of Friendliess

From: Chris Cooper (coop666@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 16:20:46 MST

>My perhaps-naive response is to say that a lot of, well, evil can be
>done in the name of "helping people." Hello, have you looked at any
>legislation Congress has passed in the last few decades?

 This is something that has been percolating in my brain, as well. I'm
wondering if our Friendly SI might decide that the friendliest thing to
do, is to put all of us in a comfortable zoo, (like a SYSOP-protected
"no ouchies" earth) make sure we can't hurt one another, and blast off
for another solar system. Why is there an assumption that we would be
allowed to upload and upgrade?Perhaps I am pessimistic, but a more
plausible scenario is that our SI would consider it "unfriendly" to
allow us access to the post-Singularity toybox, and create copies of
viself to play with. As "friendly" humans, we would never hurt or kill
our dog,but we wouldn't let Fido drive our new car, either. If our SI
is thinking along similar lines, you can bet your new doghouse that we
will be unable to talk Vim (hope I'm using the proper tense! ) out of
the notion.

 Perhaps,this scenario has been covered already.If so, please tell me
I'm wrong about this. I much prefer the post-Singularity-world where we
get to share all the toys with our new creation. Besides, I wouldn't
look good in a dog collar. (...despite what my wife keeps telling me.)

COOP