Ray Kurzweil & Empty Universe

From: Spudboy100@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 22:39:25 MST

I have noticed after reading the precis' by Ray Kurzweil's "The Singularity
Is Near", that the end result has a feature similar to Frank Tipler's view
that the observable cosmos is likely, void of technological civilizations.
Chiefly, because once computer technology hits a takeoff point, its progress
becomes permanent. The Fermi Paradox is also echoed in Kurzweil's precis',
using Astronomer, Seth Shostak's sky surveys. Kurzweil notes that even the
light barrier is not an everlasting block to a very advanced techno-culture.
Earl Cox and Gregory Paul's "Beyond Humanity" also suggested this, as nobody
is detecting macro stellar engineering projects such as 'stars being arranged
in geometric alignments' etc. Kurzweil claims (and I hope) that "Intelligence
is more powerful then physics (or cosmology)".
 <A HREF="http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0012.html?printable=1">
http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0012.html?printable=1>

The above is one of aol's wonderful, MIME links, so please just copy and
paste to view the precis'.