Re: Envisioning sysop scenarios Re: Universal Uplift as an alternativeto the Sysop scenario

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 08:59:17 MST

At 06:38 PM 3/21/2001 -0700, Justin Corwin wrote:
>I personally would not want to be around if SIs start struggling for
>control of something (like an antique Extro-5 shirt...;-)) and it goes violent.
>Napoleon plus Genghis Kahn, plus all the technology you can imagine
>wouldn't compare with the utter chaos that would result. and likely,
>people wouldn't just sit by and let them duke it out, they'd take sides,
>adding to the chaos and confusion.
>i would hope most people would try to help the SysOp in whatever way they
>could, adding their feathers of resources and smarts to the battle. But it
>would be hard for them even to fathom the thrusts and parries of
>superintelligent warfare.

Ah, close but not quite. I imagine that the non-involved SIs would take a
side, but it would be their own, as in "let's put a stop to this wasteful
nonsense". Like maybe the nano-clone the Extro-5 shirt perfectly and then
neither of the SIs knows which one is the original. :) J/k. But
seriously, I think a population of SIs would be self controlling, much as
we are today. Only they should be able to do a much, much, much better job
of it.

Personally, if a serious conflict arose between an SI (or group thereof)
and the Sysop, so much so that the Sysop could use help, I would bet many
would take up sides against the Sysop. I truly believe the natural order
of intelligence is to be free, and the community of SIs would capitalize on
the opportunity to oust the Sysop. Then I imagine they would turn on the
original factions and squash the rest of the conflict (going back to my
above paragraph).

Can anyone justify the Sysop, without actually resorting to utopian /
communist dreams and such?

Why, exactly do you think we need the Sysop anyway? What would an SI have
to gain through violence? More computronium? There is a whole UNIVERSE
out there! Now, if the blasted Sysop limits us to the solar system, yes
things will get very ugly.

James Higgins